Brodsworth Hall

Brodsworth Hall was built between 1861 and 1863 for the Thelluson family. A coal mine was sunk on the estate in 1905 and electricity was installed in 1913. During the First World War, the estate was active in contributing to the war effort through the war working party set up by the family. The house fell out of use by the Thelluson family in 1919 and was inherited by Charles Grant-Dalton in 1931. Charles’ wife Sylvia lived alone at Brodsworth until her death in 1988. The house and gardens was donated to English Heritage by her daughter. After extensive work it opened as a visitor attraction and remains open today.

thumbnail

Eustace Foster Grant-Dalton

Eustace Foster Grant-Dalton was born in 1877. Eustace spent a lot of time at Brodsworth during his...

thumbnail

Charles Grant-Dalton

Charles Grant-Dalton was born in 1884 in Southampton. Charles and his brother Stuart spent lots of...

thumbnail

Stuart Grant-Dalton

Stuart Grant Dalton was born in Bournemouth in 1886, the younger of two sons of Constance and Horace...