Cusworth Hall was built between 1740 and 1744 for local land owner William Wrightson. Additions and alterations were made between 1749 and 1752 and the library and chapel were added. The Hall passed down through the Wrightson family to William Henry Thomas. William changed his name by Royal Licence and became ‘William Battie-Wrightson.’ He married Isabella Cecil and they had two children, Robert and Barbara. The Hall stayed in the family until Robert’s death in 1952. The Hall and its contents were sold soon after. The Hall opened as a museum in 1967 and has remained a visitor attraction since.