Campion Grayston Wallis Son of a Surgeon

Campion was born in Doncaster in 1886 and baptished in St. George’s Church  on the 8th July, 1886.  At this time the family were living at 22 Priory Place,  and Campion’s father Ferdinand as a Surgeon.   At some stage the family then moved to  25 Bow Road, Stratford Le Bow. London. In the 1891 census the household was recorded as  Ferdinand, a Medical Practioner,  mother Annie Martha, sisters Elsie and Laura, brothers Ferdinand H and Kenneth, along with a Servant Sarah Simmonds.

By 1901  the family had moved again this time to Manchester to 28 Acomb Street, Chorlton. Manchester.  Campion did not follow his father into the medical profession as he is recorded as an Insurance Clerk.

On the 15th May, 1915 saw Campion on the ship “Mongolia” heading to Hong Kong where his profession was a Representative.  On the 29th September, 1916 he then boarded the ship “Morea”  and headed for Freemantle where his profession became a  Commercial Traveller.

Campion enlisted on the 6th December, 1916  aged 31 years and 2 months and took the oath on the same day at Show Ground Camp, Sydney. Australia joining the 35 Infantry Battalion.

Date of embarkation: 24 January 1917 aboard HMAT Anchises A68 for Devonport, Plymouth and  disembarked on 27th March,  from here he was transported to Fovant (France.) where he remained for some time.  Whilst in Fovant Campion  attended signal school  on the 28th December, 1917.  In February (25th) 1918 he was transferred back to the U.K. and was  admitted to the 1st. ADH (Australian Dermatological Hospital.) Bulford. Later being discharge on the 28th February and sent to C.T. Depot.  Parkhouse, where he remained for the next 70 days.  On the 9th May,  he was sent to Sutton Veny.

Campion  was then transported over seas to France on the 21st June 1918  to reinforce the 34th. Battalion at Rouelles, and marched to the front. Unfortunately on the 7th September, 1918 Campion   he was injured and sent to Buchy.  But on the 25th September  he was again  sent to Rouelles and on the 5th October  he re-joined his unit where he remained until 15th March 1919  when he was given leave to the UK.  Whilst on leave he was admitted to Southall Hospital with the measles (a common but dangerous  decease at this time).  On the 27th March Campion  was transferred to Grove Hill Hospital, and later on the 15th April  he was discharged and sent to the Pay Corp, in London where he remained until demobilisation.

Campion  was discharged from the Australian Army  the 14th September, 1919

Campion’s awards are. 1914/15 Star, British War Medal, The Victory Medal and The Silver War Badge.

Well-wishers, some holding paper streamers connecting them to men on the ship, on the wharf prior to the departure of HMAT Anchises (A68).

Item copyright: Copyright expired – public domain
Public Domain Mark This item is in the Public Domain

Well-wishers, some holding paper streamers connecting them to men on the ship, on the wharf prior to the departure of HMAT Anchises (A68).  Date 14th.March 1916.  Nine months later Campion was on this boat and heading back to the UK.  To fight in the Great War.

At some time Campion emigrate to China? or was he staying either?  Either way a letter from Campion was submitted.  See below.

A letter from Campion dated 1936.

Burnett House

46 Canter Road


January 22nd. 1936

To Base Records Dept
During the Simo-Japanese trouble (1932) in this city, most of my personal belongings were destroyed by fire at the Odeon Theatre here, amongst which was my Discharge from the Australian Imperial Forces. I am writing to ask whether it is possible for you to let me have a copy of some. For your information I give the following particulars: –

Name: Campion Grayston Wallis

Apologising for the trouble and trusting the above particulars are sufficient and thanking you in anticipation.

I am yours faithfully, C. Wallis

There seems to be no reply to this letter at the time being.  Also no address for him after the war.  But the letter doe’s  state that Campion was discharged In Horseferry Road. London.

Campion sadly died some time in 1945? aged  59.

Related Stories


Sgt. Oswald Rixon

Widely known in the Thorne Community