Geoffrey Kenyon, was born in 1885 at Field House in Thorne. His father was a solicitor.
Before the war, Geoffrey had run a tea plantation in Ceylon, Sri Lanka. He returned to work at his father’s law firm when his father was taken ill and died.
Geoffrey enlisted into the Royal Fusiliers 8th Battalion (City of London). Geoffrey was killed in action on 7th October 1916 at Gueudecourt, France. He has no known grave but is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial, France and the Thorne War Memorial.
His will left £10,655 (approximately £900,000 in today’s money) to his widow and his brother Harold Godfrey Kenyon.
Geoffrey’s brother, Harold, unveiled the Thorne War Memorial on November 11th 1921. The solicitor’s firm that both Geoffrey and Harold worked for survives today as Kenyon, Son and Craddock.