Harry Kidger was born around 1878 to Richard Hugh Kidger and Emma Sarah Kidger (maiden name Bishop), while George Kidger was born to them in 1885. In between them their sister, Ethel Kidger was born in 1880. In 1881 the family lived at 24 Rectory Place, Loughborough, Leicestershire. Hugh worked at J W K Cotton, and Emma worked in stocking. Hugh died in 1888, and Emma remarried in 1890 to Henry James Moss. In 1891 the former Kidger family lived with Henry Moss, his and Emma’s 10 month old son John, and Emma’s brother George at 1 Moor Lane, Loughborough. Harry was going by his stepfather’s surname and was working as a painter’s assistant.
Henry Moss was a bricklayer, and though Harry and George did not keep his name they learnt his trade. In 1898 Harry married Ada Dobbs of Radford, Nottingham. By 1901 Harry and Ada had moved into 48 Guthrie Street, Radford. George remained in the family home, which was now 71 Denison Street, Nottingham. The house was crowded by three more children of Henry and Emma: Sam, Frank, and one too young to have been named. Both Harry and George were working as bricklayers. Harry and Ada had a son, also Harry, in 1900.
By 1911 Harry and George had moved in together at 4 Miall Street, Radford. Harry was still married to Ada, and George had married a Nellie. Both Harry and George still worked as bricklayers. Harry and Ada had five children besides Harry junior: Nellie, George, Annie, Elsie and Ada. They had also had a seventh child who had died young. George and Nellie had a comparatively tame two daughters: Nellie, and another daughter who was only three days old so had not yet been named.
By 1916 they both moved to Doncaster. Harry and family lived on 15 Coronation Road, just across from George at number 18. Both Harry and George were Bricklayer Foremen at the building contractors Thomson and Dixon. Because of the company’s important work on colliery housing both brothers were exempted from service in the First World War. George’s life after this is hard to be certain of. Harry at least lived at 15 Coronation Road until 1925, then moved to 37 Mansfield Road, Balby. In 1939 he still lived there, by then his son George had followed him into becoming a bricklayer. Elsie was an assistant at a fruit shop. On the 14th of November 1946, Harry passed away leaving about £600 to Ada and George. It is unclear if George refers to his son or brother. Ada lived at 37 Mansfield Road until at least 1957.