Major and Mrs Peake of Bawtry Hall
Evelyn Mary Dundas married Major George Herbert Peake of Bawtry Hall in 1895. As the War progressed, the couple realised the importance of food production to the war effort. They opened up a training centre for women to learn farming skills at Plumtree Farm, Bawtry. Girls came from as far afield as London to train at the centre and many were out working in the fields within a few weeks. Mrs Peake regularly gave talks around the borough about the importance of women and farm work. The Doncaster Chronicle reported that women at the training centre were ‘engaged in and carrying out practically every phase of farm work – milking, ploughing, hedging and ditching, sheep shearing, leading, stacking, engaged in the harvest field and in many other directions’.
Amy was born in 1905, the seventh child of Robert Tyreman, the Stationmaster at Pickburn, and his wife Edith. As a child Amy attended Brodsworth School and when the War broke out, she joined the local branch of Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild on the Brodsworth estate. This organisation was formed to encourage women and girls to sew and knit garments that could be sent to troops serving in the Armed Forces. Amy, along with her sisters, knitted many hundreds of ‘comforts’ for soldiers. She included her name and address with the packages she sent, and as a result, many of the grateful men who had benefitted from a pair of her socks or a warm scarf sent letters of thanks in return. Amy received 28 letters in total, which she treasured until her death in 1971.
William Wright Warde-Aldam
William Wright Aldam was born at Frickley Hall in 1854. He changed his name by Royal Licence to William Warde-Aldam following his marriage in 1878 to Sarah Julia Warde of Hooton Pagnell Hall. After attending Oxford University, he served as a magistrate in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Following the introduction of compulsory military service in 1916, a tribunal system was implemented for men who did not want to, or could not fight. Decisions made at these tribunals could be appealed against, and William heard these appeals for the southern area of the West Riding of Yorkshire at Doncaster Mansion House. He died at Frickley Hall in 1925.