Serving Sons

Redvers Bewicke-Copley: the death of an heir

Redvers Bewicke-Copley, the eldest son of Godfrey and Selina Bewicke-Copley, was born in 1890. He was the next in line to inherit Sprotbrough Hall, one of the largest country houses in Doncaster. When the War broke out, Redvers was already a serving officer with the Coldstream Guards. His unit was one of the first to see active service. Redvers experienced action from very early on in the campaign, including dealing with German prisoners of war in September 1914. In October he was wounded at Zonnebeke, Flanders, while helping an injured comrade. Although he was discharged from hospital in January 1915, his severely damaged collarbone kept him away from the fighting. In June 1916, he was declared fit for active service. Tragically, Redvers lived just a few more months after he returned to the Front. He was killed by a stray bullet on 21sDecember 1916.

Robert Cecil Battie-Wrightson and Thomas Carrington: brothers in arms

Thomas Carrington was employed by Robert Cecil Battie-Wrightson of Cusworth Hall as his chauffeur in about 1912. Despite the differences in social class, the pair quickly became friends as a result of their shared interest in motor cars. During the War, Robert served as a private, driving a Daimler car in the army. In a letter he wrote to Thomas from France in 1917, Robert looks back fondly on the time they spent together before the War, and hints at the loneliness he feels: “I do wish we were together. It is much better if you can have someone you can talk to sometimes.”  Luckily, both master and servant survived the War and Thomas remained in Robert’s service, and his friend, for the rest of his working life.

William St Andrew Warde-Aldam: the gallant officer

William St Andrew Warde-Aldam was born in London in 1882 and spent his childhood at Frickley Hall. He was already serving as a Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards when the War began and was sent straight to the front line. Only a few months after the War began, William’s bravery resulted in him being mentioned in despatches. During one of the battles of the Aisne, he found himself cut off in the woods with a group of men, including a badly injured colonel. Despite being surrounded by the enemy, William led the group to the safety of the British lines as they crawled on their hands and knees throughout the night. Unfortunately, only a few weeks later, William was seriously wounded when a bullet passed straight through his body. However, he made a full recovery and survived the War. He died at Hooton Pagnell Hall in in 1958.