To help Doncaster 1914-18 deliver high quality community events and educational opportunities.
- Support the Community and Education Engagement Officer in delivering family community events. Including, assisting with craft activities and facilitating use of the handling objects and costumes.
- Support the Community and Education Engagement Officer in enabling events for adults, including family history talks.
- Assisting the Community and Education Engagement Officer in delivering fun and interactive education programmes that fulfill curriculum needs for a variety of age groups (Primary School to Sixth Form).
- Assist with preparing resources for community events and education programmes.
- To undertake the physical setting up or packing down of sessions and help with housekeeping duties.
- Opportunity to assist with the Great War on Tour, a travelling display that will promote the project’s research and facilitate access to the website. It will also contain interactive elements such as replica World War One objects, replica uniforms, a photo booth and craft activities.
- Volunteers may be asked to undertake other duties where necessary within the scope of this role.
Education programmes will take place Monday to Friday during term time. The Community events take place year round, often on weekends. The education programmes and events will take place for the duration of the project (until 2019). Volunteers can sign up to as many dates as they wish.
The education programmes and events aim to engage Doncaster’s people in the Doncaster 1914-18 project and Doncaster’s First World War history. The events will attract a varied audience. The school programmes will fulfill curriculum objectives.
Where the role is based will be dependent on the individual volunteer package undertaken. Varied roles will involve working on original documents in Doncaster Archives and microfilms within the Local Studies Library. There are also opportunities to undertake research from home
- Interested in the history of Doncaster and the First World War
- Friendly, approachable and confident in a busy environment
- Enjoy meeting and working with new people
- An enthusiasm for supporting a variety of learning styles in a fun and interactive environment
- Willingness to undertake training related to the role
- Enthusiasm for working with children
WHAT WE OFFER
- Training and support to help you develop in your role
- Opportunity to be part of a vibrant and dedicated team
- A chance to meet new people and pass on your passion for history
- The opportunity to work on a variety of different events and programmes
- Travel expenses and a reference for regular volunteers